Storm Update: Statewide Travel Ban Eased; Wilmington Still Evaluating Effects of Storm; Evacuation Order for Southeast Still in Effect
Posted on 10/30/2012 9:35 am
Wilmington’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC) remains open at 22 South Heald Street according to Mayor James M. Baker, who reports that City officials continue to evaluate the impact of Hurricane Sandy on the City of Wilmington.
Mayor Baker said considering the severity of the storm forecast, Wilmington came through this ordeal in reasonably good shape. Wilmington still has small pockets of power outages to which Delmarva Power is assessing and responding. So far the City counts approximately 12 trees down, but the good news is that none of them have caused personal injury and very few have caused damage to personal property.
Delaware Governor Jack Markell has eased travel restrictions from a Level 2 to a Level 1, meaning that motorists are permitted to travel state roads except in areas that have been evacuated, including Southeast Wilmington. Motorists are urged to exercise caution as they travel City streets due to the possibility of downed trees and limbs, traffic signal outages, and possible downed electric wires. Wilmington Police officers will direct traffic at intersections with out-of-service traffic lights.
The evacuation order for Southeast Wilmington will remain in effect until the City can determine early this afternoon whether the flooding danger has ceased. Another high tide is expected at 1 p.m. today, which could result in additional flooding due to the record water levels in the Christina and Delaware Rivers. Wilmington Police will continue to patrol the area and restrict access. Only after the threat of flooding has passed will City officials lift the evacuation order; until that time, police will not allow residents to enter the evacuation zone.
The City of Wilmington’s state of emergency remains in effect, which allows the City to recover some of the costs associated with storm preparedness efforts. Although the brunt of Hurricane Sandy has long passed Wilmington, residents are still cautioned that a National Weather Service wind advisory remains in effect through 3 p.m. Until that time, the massive storm system can still deliver tropical storm-force winds between 30-40 mph and gusts up to 60 mph.
Any emergencies should be reported to 911. Wilmington citizens with non-emergency issues may call the Emergency Operations Center at 302-576-2489. The Mayor said the non-emergency telephone line will remain open through 5 p.m. this evening.
Trash collection will take place as normally scheduled (Thursday/Friday), and recycling will resume next week as normally scheduled.
Additional information will be issued as necessary.