Wilmington Police Department Offers Safety Tips for Trick or Treating
Posted on 10/25/2012 2:51 pm
The Wilmington Department of Police would like to remind parents, children, and motorists to remain vigilant and keep safety a top priority during this Halloween season.
Safety Tips for the Motorist
- Motorists are asked to not only drive with extreme caution, but also to drive extra slow in neighborhoods; more significantly the neighborhoods with narrow streets.
- Children will be walking house to house and, depending on the availability of sidewalks, may walk near or on the roadway.
- With the excitement of trick or treating, children may become more susceptible to their impulse and dart across the street into the path of moving vehicles.
Trick or Treating Safety Tips
- Children should never go trick or treating alone. They should have a parent, guardian, or a group of friends with them at all times.
- Stay off the main roadways.
- Costumes should always fit properly.
- Consider face paint instead of masks as they can obstruct a child’s vision.
- Parents, guardians, and trick-or-treaters should always carry a flashlight.
- For added visibility consider using “glow sticks” and/or reflective tape attached to the costumes or bags.
- Before crossing the street, always look in both directions twice to make sure there is no vehicular traffic.
- Have a designated area in which you plan to trick or treat. Try not to deviate from this plan.
Parents are encourage to review the Delaware Sex Offender Registry at https://desexoffender.dsp.delaware.gov/. Look for Wilmington registered sex offenders by choosing "Wilmington" in the offender's address section.
Curfew Days, Times, and Ages
Curfew laws will remain in effect on Halloween. We expect residents to adhere to the law. The curfew is:
- Sunday through Thursday at 9:00 p.m. for ages 12 years & younger; and 10:00 p.m. for ages 13 years & older.
- Friday and Saturday at 10:00 p.m. for ages 12 years & younger; and 12:00 midnight for ages 13 years & older.
- Read Wilmington City Code Section 36-97 Curfew for minors.